Downtown Kamloops is a vibrant and close knit community which is home to a variety of businesses and amenities. The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association is funded in part by a commercial property levy which means being located here that not only are you part of this great community but you are automatically entitled to take advantage of the services and programs that we offer.
Through advocacy marketing, programs, promotions and events we are committed to keeping a vibrant and livable Downtown that is the focal point of Kamloops. The amount of work that goes into maintaining a livable and workable Downtown core is immense and we couldn’t do it without the cooperation and help of all the businesses who call Downtown Kamloops home!
The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association provides value to our members through advocacy, beautification, promotion, development and preservation of Downtown Kamloops.
- There are two types of KCBIA memberships. Every commercial property is a regular member. In order to vote at our AGM or sit on the Board of Directors you must also be a “voting member” which costs an additional $50.00 per year.
- Our guaranteed 5 year funding helps us accomplish our neighborhood goals and put funds towards where they are needed most to improve the business climate. Through a range of initiatives, we set goals and help businesses in a number of key areas.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association is directed by a Board of Directors that are voted in at the Annual General meeting in February. Each director serves a 2 year term.
The KCBIA has been responsible for taking on an advocacy role with the City of Kamloops on important issues that affect Downtown. We have successfully lobbied for changes to the Revitalization Tax Exemption, increasing foot patrols of RCMP and Bylaw Officers, obtaining additional funding for the Customer Care and Patrol Team to go year round, and more.
We have various programs, promotions and opportunities throughout the year.
- Neighbourhood Marketing Alliance – An annual fee of $500.00 will cover your Marketing Alliance Membership, marketing to drive traffic Downtown and year-round campaign participation. Ask us about the many benefits.
- Downtown Guide & Directory The mini magazine style guide lists every business in the KCBIA area. Biz Club Members are bolded, Marketing Alliance Members highlighted. There are also advertising spots available on first come, first served basis.
- Christmas Promotion – “Experience Downtown” Our annual holiday promotion includes a window display contest, media investment, social media promotion and prizing.
- Entrance & Event Signs We currently have 2 signs located at the entrance to the KCBIA area. New businesses are welcome to display an announcement sign. KCBIA Members may post their Downtown event. A $40.00 installation fee applies. For non-members, the price is $60. Signs MUST be brought to the KCBIA office (#4 – 231 Victoria St) at least two days prior to installation, complete with payment. If an invoice is required, one can be provided. Signs are posted on a Monday and usually run for a week until the following Sunday. To book your event, follow these instructions.
- Festival of Experiences (Spring and Summer) is about citizen engagement through public space programming and ensuring positive experiences everyday. This includes the following:
- Place Making Managing public spaces through programming and place management techniques. This includes bistro sets, giant checkers, Jenga and other games, a comic book library, pop up picnics, live music, entertainment and more. Where positivity congregates, negativity vacates; by encouraging our friends and neighbours to spend more of their time outside, we are helping take control of the street and our public space.
- Spring Fest – Downtown’s Art & Music Festival (May) Kick off to the Festival of Experiences. For 3 days Downtown is a buzz with activity & entertainment filling the sidewalks!
- Artisans Alive (All Summer) was created to enhance Downtown ambiance and to promote and encourage young artists on their musical journey. Throughout the summer we host live music throughout the Downtown core. Downtown is a perfect venue to showcase this local talent for the enjoyment of everyone strolling our streets.
- Yoga in the Park (July & August) Outdoor yoga with music is brought to the public at St. Andrews On The Square, 2 nights a week. This collaborative project involves local teachers, musicians and DJ’s.
- Merchant’s Market (End of July) Merchants Market is the busiest week of the summer in Downtown Kamloops! It’s all about creating an amazing customer experience and enhancing the vibrancy of our downtown core. This annual event features super sidewalk sales, the renowned Taste of Downtown, Car Free Day & more!
- Christmas Shoppers come Downtown at Christmas because we have superior customer service, fabulous and unique items that you can’t find elsewhere in the city and a truly festive ambiance.
- Experience Christmas Campaign brings together all the popular and positive attributes of the holidays and is a way for merchants to have maximum exposure throughout the holiday season and drive in-store traffic.
- Lights in the Night is the kick off to Christmas. This festive evening is all about lights, merchant parties, holiday cheer and more.
- #Santaelfie Santa is at the mall; why can’t he be downtown? Santa makes random appearances strolling Downtown streets and popping into businesses through the season, giving away candy canes and prizes to those who share a selfie.
- Santa Claus Parade is held on the last Saturday of November every year in Downtown Kamloops. The parade has over 20,000 attendees. It is one of our most popular events all year.
- Downtown Gift Certificates Perfect for personal and corporate gift giving! All businesses within the KCBIA area can accept them. Gift Certificates are just like cash, change can be given. Simply deposit accepted Gift Certificates into your bank account.
- Flash Your Badge Developed to enhance the experiences of conference guests and encourage them to experience all that our businesses have to offer. We supply information to the attendees outlining the incentives. All they have to do is “Flash their Badge” in a participating business to receive the special discount or offer. Sign up!
- State of Downtown Report (STOD) The State of Downtown Report examines the business environment Downtown and can be leveraged for business recruitment and retention. It includes pertinent business information including demographics, leasing, pedestrian counts, vehicle counts and more.
- Revitalization Tax Exemption (RTE) We lobbied for the creation of the RTE bylaw years ago to help spur investment in our area. Recently we successfully lobbied the City of Kamloops to change the RTE. Now improvements made to properties Downtown can benefit from a 10 year property tax exemption as long as the improvement adds any type of residential space (not just rental). For more information visit our website or the City of Kamloops.
- Back Alley Art Gallery Our collection of alley murals features 23 large scale pieces of art work. There is a map available which you can use to follow the Downtown art trail murals and public art.
- People of the Neighbourhood A series of articles, interviews and stories on Downtown business people, residents and regulars. This web and social media based series works to spread and build on the cultural and relatable identity of Downtown and its citizens.
ON STREET SERVICES
- Customer Care & Patrol (CAP) Team Now on patrol year round! The goal of the CAP team is to provide a clean, safe and friendly Downtown to tourists, businesses and patrons by patrolling the streets, engaging with street involved individuals, providing first aid and emergency phone service, and acting as a visual crime deterrent.
- You are encouraged to call the CAP Team for any non-serious issues you may have, Particularly regarding vagrancy and syringes around your business. 250-572-3009 or 250-572-3008.
- Customer Care and Visitor Information Centre is a hub of activity complete with tourism and community information as well as bike valet! Located 103-340 Victoria Street, 250-572-3017
- Crime Prevention Package (CPP) This booklet contains general security advice taken directly from official sources and has been prepared for you to help mitigate crime around your
STAFF ROLES & CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director – Carl DeSantis, email@example.com
Administrator, Communications & Member Services – Paola Ludwig, firstname.lastname@example.org
Event, Marketing and Brand Management Specialist – Karla Karcioglu, email@example.com
Supervisor, Customer Care & Patrol (CAP) Team – Alexis Proulx, firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer Care and Patrol (CAP) Team – 250-572-3008(9) email@example.com
4-231 Victoria Street, Kamloops, BC V2C 1W3
downtownkamloops.com | 250-372-3242