WHERE ARE THEY NOW? A CAP TEAM ALUMNI SERIES
Today we have an interview with past Cappie, Rory McKerchar!
What year were you a CAP Team Member?
- I was a CAP Team member over the Summer of 2013
Tell us about your career path since leaving the CAP Team
- I worked on the CAP team the summer before starting my Bachelor of Science at Thompson Rivers University. Since leaving the CAP team I completed my B.Sc. in Chemical Biology and worked for a couple of years in Kamloops. During that time, I worked teaching chemistry labs at TRU, as a youth worker for the Boys and Girls Club, and as a lab technician at ALS Metallurgy. This year I started my first year of medical school at the University of British Columbia.
What were your career goals when you started with the CAP Team?
- When I started with the CAP team, I was not 100% sure of what I wanted to do. I had not started university yet, but I was planning on doing a year of sciences at TRU before switching into the nursing program.
How do you feel your experience on the CAP Team helped you achieve your goals?
- The CAP team was a great summer job for me. I think it looked good for my job and school applications, while also providing me with some great talking points for job interviews etc. Besides this, working on the CAP team was a lot of fun. It was great working outside for the summer and it was an excellent opportunity to get outside, meet visitors to Kamloops’ Downtown
What was the most valuable skill learned on the job?
- While working as part of the CAP team I believe I developed great customer service and communication skills. Prior to my role on the CAP team, I had never worked in an environment where those skills were requirements. In retrospect, I am very thankful for the experience, as those skills have been very helpful in other workplaces, I have been apart of as well as in the university environment.
What was your favourite part of the program?
- My favourite part of the program was the opportunity to work outside during the summer. There is always a lot going on downtown in Kamloops during the summer and it was fun being a part of a lot of it. I also really enjoyed the biking and walking patrols, helping organize events, and talking to visitors to Kamloops.
What kind of unique experiences do you have?
- A unique experience I had while working for the CAP team was meeting Justin Trudeau at Riverside Park a few years before he became Prime Minister in 2015.
What was your favorite event that Downtown Kamloops organized?
- My favourite event organized by Downtown Kamloops was the Taste of Downtown event.
What is your favorite store in downtown?
- My favourite place downtown is Motivo! Great coffee and great pie!
Did you use to work for the CAP Team? Interested in having a feature for our alumni series? Send us an email at email@example.com to be involved! For more of the Where Are They Now Series, go to www.downtownkamloops.com/news-and-blog-downtown-kamloops/where-are-they-now/.
You may have noticed a few more red hats and shirts patrolling the downtown lately. This is because the KCBIA has just finished hiring its Downtown summer CAP Team. You already know the CAP Team supervisor, Jon, as well as Blake, Frankie, Oliver, Jake, and Matt, but they have now been joined by eager new CAP Team members! Meet Erika, Moira, Lucas, Brooke, Margo, and returning CAPper David.
So please don’t be shy when you see these red-shirted individuals out and about!
The Downtown summer CAP Team is collecting business information to update the Open With Care. Don’t hesitate to reach out to them and provide them information like store timings, new safety protocols, and essential information for customers. For more information on the Open With Care campaign, visit https://www.downtownkamloops.com/open-with-care/
As a quick reminder, here is what the CAP Team can and cannot do for you:
The CAP Team can:
- Help with events
- Pick up needles and drug paraphernalia.
- Observe and report unsafe conditions such as crime, graffiti, and vagrancy
- Assist tourists and customers
The CAP Team cannot:
- Provide emergency treatment
- Respond to criminal activity – please call 911 if there is an immediate emergency/crime in progress
- Clean up garbage, feces or other litter
We can’t wait to see you all downtown!
For more information, check our website: https://www.downtownkamloops.com/about/cap-team/
Sunday, June 21st is Father’s Day, and in today’s ever-changing climate we know it can be difficult to figure out the best way to celebrate! We’ve compiled a list of some of the ways you can celebrate your Dad and support local! Many businesses and restaurants downtown are now #openwithcare, so getting out is easier than before!
Food + Drinks
- Maurya’s Cuisine
- Stay tuned for their Father’s Day menu! Maurya’s is open for takeout, delivery, and dine-in. Treat your Dad to some butter chicken and a cold beer this Sunday!
- Red Collar
- Pick up a Father’s Day Case today! Cases include Dave Bomb Double Pale Ale (3), A Dog Aquatic Pale Ale (4), Maibock Fest Lager (4), and Black Dog Quad (1), PLUS a bonus $15 GC for $75!!
- Order through their online store today for delivery
- Boston Pizza
- Give Dad what he wants this year… PIZZA! Save 15% on BP E-Gift Cards for Father’s Day from June 15th to June 21st when you spend $50. Go to bostonpizza.com/fathersday to get yours before they’re gone!
- Dorian Greek House
- Let Dorians do the cooking for you, so you can focus on that special Dad! Order the DADDY PACK: 2 Chicken souvlaki skewers, 2 racks of Greek Ribs, 2 Traditional Beef Greek kabobs, All the greek trimmings, Serves 4 adults! For ONLY $55.00. Pre-order now at doriangreekhouse.com.
- We are taking preorders until Saturday, June 21 @ 9 pm. You can pick it up or we can deliver it! All online orders will be closed on Father’s day.
- McAllister & Howard Clothiers
- Check out their FATHER‘S DAY GIFT SETS! Up online with limited numbers so don’t wait too long! Check out their website to order: the Beard Gift Set; perfect for the bearded gentleman in your life. Shaving Gift Set; perfect for the clean-shaven gentlemen, and the Essentials Gift Set; perfect for the gentleman in your life who needs fresh new essentials.
- Far + Wide
- Check out their Father’s Day gift sets! They partnered with Amplified Cafe and Chop N’ Block to make these gift sets that include fun socks, great coffee, delicious salami, artisan chocolate from @alicjaconfections or infused salts from @vanislesalt, these boxes are sure to go fast! They will be available for pickup the week of June 16th and come wrapped with a card so take the worry out of the day. Available for sale now on the website for 45.00!
This is just a small list of what’s available! With most shops open now, be sure to come down and check out what’s in the store while searching for the perfect gift! For more ideas, check out our directory!
We hope everyone has a wonderful weekend celebrating their Dad while experiencing Downtown Kamloops. Remember to be kind, be calm and to be safe while downtown, and that we are #openwithcare!
Read about the Open With Care Campaign to support local businesses.