KAMLOOPS CENTRAL BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION
The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association is a non-profit organization responsible for supporting the diverse businesses, services, and developers located in our remarkable Downtown area. Look for Careers in Downtown Kamloops.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN DOWNTOWN
We’re looking for individuals who have a desire to impact their community in a positive way; every day in every way.
Type: Full-Time and Part-Time Opportunities Available
Pay: From $18 per hour
The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association is a non-profit organization responsible for supporting the diverse businesses, services, and developers located in our remarkable Downtown area. CAP Team members are readily identified by their red uniforms and are the pride of Downtown Kamloops. Ideal candidates will collaborate with other team members to showcase the Downtown community as a safe and vibrant community, and, a desired place to conduct business.
POSITION SUMMARY AND DESCRIPTION:
The Customer Care and Patrol (CAP) Team are Downtown ambassadors responsible for supporting Downtown Kamloops by providing various services and support to businesses, residents, tourists, and the downtown vulnerable population. Reporting to the Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association, CAP Team members are committed to promoting a safer and friendlier downtown community.
CAP Team members are responsible for addressing issues involving the vulnerable populations in support of a safe and vibrant Downtown. Team members support initiatives that create positive visitor experiences. Team members are also responsible for completing other duties as assigned.
The CAP Team typically consists of a team supervisor and patrol members. Working in pairs, team members are responsible for fulfilling a variety of roles including downtown Safety Officer, Communications Advisor, Business Services Offer, Special Events Planning, and Tourism Information Officer.
CAP TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Developing constructive relationships with business operators, residents, visitors, and tourists alike.
- Supporting tourism activities such as greeting visitors, leading tours, describing historical points of interest, remaining current and assisting with key events and activities, attractions, marketing, restaurants, shopping, parking and accommodations.
- Observe, respond to and report incidents including unsafe conditions, crime, and graffiti.
- Identifying matters involving the vulnerable populations and respond in conjunction with various community organizations and resources.
- CAP Team members also support the RCMP and Community Safety Officers with various crime prevention strategies and initiatives.
- Collaborate as required for Downtown marketing, events, place management and brand management.
- Marketing and promotion of the CAP Team, including media relations & news articles.
- Remaining current regarding matters of interest Downtown.
- Creating safe and positive visitor experiences.
- Liaising with partners and external organizations.
- Liaising with the Downtown businesses, services, and developers, and respond to calls requesting service.
- Liaising with Tourism Kamloops, RCMP, Community Safety Officers, and various City of Kamloops departments.
- Facilitating tours.
- Completion of projects and programs as assigned.
- Successful candidates must complete training including, but not limited to;
- Basic first aid
- Crime prevention, report writing, note-taking, effective patrolling, radio communications, mountain bike handling, fentanyl education, Kamloops City By-Laws-basics and orientation, public health/street outreach training, media and public relations training, HR, leadership skills and conflict resolution, self-defence basics, computer-based reporting, team building and leadership, introduction to tourism/visitor information training
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Successful candidates must demonstrate mature behaviours, be energetic and highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Willing to work in an environment requiring flexible work hours and days.
- Be capable and willing to conduct both foot and bicycle patrols in all weather conditions for up to 8 hours a day.
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills and an ability to deal effectively, one on one, or in groups with team members, partners and the public.
- Ability to constructively contribute within a team environment.
- Superior organization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Downtown Kamloops to provide effective patrols, accurate directions and/or transit/event information when necessary.
- Data entry and report-taking skills.
- Must demonstrate initiative and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Other qualifications may include a second language, self-defence training/experience, first aid, crime prevention, tourism, hospitality, media, public speaking/relations, social work, and security.
HOURS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
*Successful candidates will work the majority of their shifts outdoors and in all weather conditions*
The majority of shifts include foot patrols and bicycle patrols
Some office duties are required
If you are a business in Downtown and would like to post a job opportunity at your business here, please contact Samantha Desouza at 250-372-3242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in Volunteering?
For information on how you can get involved with our events, please contact Samantha Desouza at 250-372-3242 or email@example.com.
© Downtown Kamloops 2021