The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association (KCBIA) and the North Shore Business Improvement Association (NSBIA) are very happy to announce a new partnership with the expansion of the Customer Care and Patrol (CAP) Team. This pilot project will not impact CAP Team operations in Downtown Kamloops, but instead complement the communities and enhance the current CAP Team. Both Business Improvement Associations are eager moving forward on this project.
Over the past couple weeks, we have focused on building strong relationships with the stakeholders and community members. We are eager in continuing to learn business operations within the NSBIA and what makes the North Shore such a unique place to eat, drink, shop and play. The North Shore community has been very welcoming toward the CAP team. It is rewarding to be recognized and greeted as we patrol down streets like Tranquille and Fortune Drive.
The CAP team priorities will remain as follows:
• Promote the community as tourism ambassadors
• Daily foot patrols in alley ways and on streets
• Bike patrols (weather dependent)
• Act as a set of eyes and ears for law enforcement and social agencies
• Weekly hotspot reports to law enforcement and social service agencies
• Regularly liaise with social and law enforcement agencies
• Removal of profane graffiti off public property (with limitations)
• Communicate with businesses regarding safety concerns
• Communicate regularly with vulnerable street population
• Assist on-site with concerns of loitering and aggressive panhandling
• Provide education, awareness, and Crime Prevention Packages
• Removal of syringes and condoms
• Assist with safe walks to and from a NSBIA location
• Carry Naloxone and First Aid Kits
These are our core responsibilities as a team, but we are happy to help in any way we can, on either side of the river. Since the CAP Team has started on the North Shore (two weeks ago) we have picked up 70 needles and 100 pieces of tinfoil, made 51 contacts with businesses (a combination of education, response to safety concerns, and getting to know our neighbours), biked 159km’s and walked 97km’s!
This article was written by Keegan Lawrence, Customer Care and Patrol (CAP) Team Member. Reach us at 250-572-3008/3009 or the Customer Care & Info Centre at 250-572-3017. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram (Downtownkamloops) and Twitter (@downtownkamloops) too!